With Christmas and New Year’s Eve just around the corner, it’s always a good idea to have a well stocked bar for friends and family. Of course, not everyone has a wet bar and counter to serve their guests, and the truth is you don’t need one. But before inviting the gang over this winter, here’s a few things every home bar aught to have…
1. Liquor – Let’s start with six bottles: bourbon, rum, gin, vodka and both sweet and dry vermouth. This isn’t enough to make any cocktail, but it’s a respectable start.
2. Beer and Wine – In terms of wine, keep your options simple like a Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio. For beer, lagers and ales are perfect for the holiday season.
3. Shaker and Accessories – A reliable shaker is a good investment. You’ll also need: a jigger, bottle opener, corkscrew, cutting board, paying knife, cocktail spoon, an ice bucket and ice.
4. Garnishes – This list could go on for days, but to start off with pick up some green pitted olives, lemons, limes and oranges.
5. Glassware – Pint glasses, wine glasses, martini glasses, highball glasses and rocks glasses.
6. Recipe Book – You will not regret a solid recipe book. This one is important.
7. Mixers – You’ll need a few things for mixing, grab some Coke, club soda, tonic water and orange juice.
8. Stereo – Last but certainly not least, you need a way to play your favorite tunes while mixing drinks!