(HealthDay News) — You can make green choices in everyday life, including during the holiday season, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
Simple activities such as recycling, reusing, walking, biking and conserving water are easy ways to make green decisions.
Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, Americans throw out 25 percent more trash than other times during the year, the agency says.
The CDC offers these “green” suggestions for the holidays:
- Decorate with things you will use year after year.
- Plant your holiday tree outside after the holidays, or dispose of it at a chipping facility.
- Limit holiday lights or use LED lights.
- Give durable gifts that are made from recycled materials, or look for locally made goods.
- Make gifts yourself by knitting or crafting.
- Give in ways that will support your community, such as by gifting tickets to a local show or museum.
- Wrap your gifts creatively by using old maps, sheet music, fabric scraps, etc.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.