But it doesn’t have to be that way. Maybe you can’t find the time to work out during your lunch break or maybe you can’t get up early enough to hit the gym but there are little pockets of time throughout the day where you can squeeze in even the slightest amount of exercise. And those pockets of time can add up to what amounts to something close to a full workout. All you need is a little imagination and a total lack of personal inhibition.
Below is a cheat sheet of how to fit in a little exercise anytime, anywhere. Try to do them all in a day, mixing and matching throughout the week. Remember, some workout is better than no workout at all.
* Do jumping jacks while waiting for the walk light. (Note: If you push the walk button more than once it’s a penalty and add twenty more jumping jacks when you reach the other side of the street.)
* See how many crunches you can do in the amount of time it takes to nuke some microwave popcorn.
* For every one zombie that gets killed on “The Walking Dead” do three pull ups.
* Hold plank position while on a conference call with your boss.
* Do overhead presses with your grocery bags at the grocery store (Note: Weekly Gravy not responsible for crushed or damaged goods.)
* Do squats while in line at Subway at the height of lunch hour.
* Run in place while on hold with your cable provider.
* Drop and do fifteen pushup anytime someone says, “It is what it is.”
* Do calf raises while your mother berates you on Skype.
* Do dips on your bar stool at Happy Hour. (Note: Please do not eat dip at Happy Hour.)
* Every time your computer freezes complete five burpies.
* Skip everywhere.
* Work your obliques using your carry-on luggage while waiting to get through airport security.
* Practice some kickboxing drills in the elevator, regardless of how many people are in there.
* Do biceps curls while you’re having sex. (Note: Make sure you have a partner to spot you for both activities.)