Few things can compete with the serenity and sheer joy of the first tee off on a golf vacation or a Saturday jaunt around 18 holes. However, the average game of golf can cost hundreds of dollars, especially at golfing hotbeds like Las Vegas and Myrtle Beach. But it doesn’t have to be that way. The number of zeros in your bank account doesn’t make you a better golfer and this list of exceptional golf courses at reasonable prices make terrific getaways and offer a chance to taste the good life without taking a bite out of your budget.
1) Tobacco Road – Sanford, NC – Only a short drive from the renowned Pinehurst Number Two golf course, where patrons shell out almost $400 to play the US Open venue, you can visit Tobacco Road, a rambunctious course offering plenty of sand pits and woodsy challenges for approx. $59.
2) Old Works – Anaconda, MT – Jack Nicklaus designed this beautiful course. The hillsides of this old mining community are cleverly utilized as bunkers on some holes. The course runs along Warm Springs Creek, making for some fun and challenging shots along the way. Approx. $39-$55
3) Mirimichi – Memphis, TN – Nestled in Graceland, this incredible course was recently given a $16 million facelift thanks to Justin Timberlake. Exceedingly well maintained, this course has the best views the South can offer. Approx. $59-$71
4) Wild Horse – Gothenburg, NE – One of the best kept secrets in the U.S., this old Scottish style course offers equal parts beauty and aggravation in the fairway. Expect tall grasses and ideal golfing. Approx. $37-$43
5) Bayonet – Monterey, CA – The Monterey Peninsula is best known for Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill, but Bayonet is doozy of a course at a fraction of the price. Enjoy lush green fairways and breath-taking ocean views for approx. $100. After 2 p.m., rates go as low as $60.
6) Brickyard Crossing – Indianapolis, IN – Who doesn’t want to play on a golf course that plays through one of America’s most famous racking tracks? That’s right, three holes are actually played within the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This course is a must, that is, unless car engines are distracting. Approx. $90
7) Redlands Mesa – Grand Junction, CA – Although this course starts slow, it has some holes that will simply amaze. Enjoy some of the best red rock formations Colorado has to offer at price that is equally stunning. Approx. $89
8) Primm Valley Golf Club – Primm, NV – Forget all those gold courses in Vegas, this gem is golf heaven and it will leave plenty of money for the casinos. Offering two courses comprised of green manmade scenic beauty and a happy helping of desert play, this club keeps the challenges coming. It’s the most expensive on this list, but for Vegas, its a jackpot. Approx. $110
9) Lakewood Shores Resort – Oscada, MI – Offering four pristine golf courses loaded with natural beauty, this resort has enough golf to push anyone’s game to new heights. In the classic Scottish style, Lakewood Shore’s rugged courses provide immaculate greens and fairways for an impossible price. Approx. $59
10) Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail – Alabama – Made up of 486 holes criss-crossing this fine state, the Robert Trent Jones is not only the largest golf project ever, it is also a daunting and impressive bit of golf. Play any of the 26 18-hole courses for as little as $64. This is what both golfing and America are all about.